Saturday, November 10, 2007

Prep Football Semifinals

I was in the Wausau, Wis., area to cover Kimberly playing Menomonie for the Div. II birth to the state championship in Madison. Wausau's a little farther north than Appleton. Never before have I encountered four deer in my hotel parking lot, and I've never had frost actually form on my cameras while I was shooting. How bizarre!

Here are a couple of my favorite frames from the evening.

Kimberly High School's Zach Thuecks (22) breaks up a pass intended for Menomonie High School's Jon Heimler (80) in the first quarter of the Division 2 football semifinal game at Stiehm Stadium in Weston, Wis., Friday evening, Nov. 9, 2007.

This shot of Kimberly QB Tyler Wolf scrambling out of the pocket was a total fluke. I'm not sure I like it or not, but there was this photographer on the opposite sideline who kept blasting her flash throughout the game. 900 frames during the course of a game at about 5-6 frames a second and you're bound to catch a flash or two. I like the slight back-lighting and green "UFO" on the left. When I transmitted this image, I actually got a call back from the sports desk saying "there's something wrong with your photo."



This was the game-winning touchdown catch – right on the guy's fingertips. When I saw this on the back of my camera I knew this had to be our cover shot. News value and moment always win.

No comments: